Currently developing an RPG with pop-up book style aesthetics and turn-based mechanics with a modern take.
- Added transactions of data such as damage. Each transaction is sent by a global handler and processed by a queue system. This helps keeps the game pace consistent as well as avoiding potential bugs caused by multiple data transactions affecting animations.
- By using a state machine for handling turns, each entity has their Turn phase and an Act phase which also pauses the progression until turn or act is concluded.
- Working on an ‘Active-Time Bar’ mechanic for the battle portion of the game.
- ATB system was used in many traditional RPGs such as the Final Fantasy series and in recent modern RPGs such as Child Of Light.
- Experimenting with shaders that allow sprite-sheets to cast and receive shadows.
- Using separate ‘areas’ within the same scene allows transition between areas with a ‘pop-up book’ effect.